Some emergencies may require you to be evacuated from your home. Not every evacuation is long term and you should follow the advice and direction of the emergency services.
Before you leave your home:
- turn off the water supply and drain taps
- close and lock windows and doors
- for long-term evacuation, switch off power but be wary of food in the freezer
- tune into local radio station or visit the council’s website which will issue details and arrangements for collecting children from schools
- if you can’t leave your pet behind, make sure you have a secure pet carrier or leash, plus it has a proper ID tag
- take your emergency ‘grab bag'.
Evacuees will be encouraged to find alternative shelter and accommodation arrangements with friends and family. If you have valid (building) home insurance, you may be entitled to be placed in a hotel. Please contact your insurance providers.
If you are staying in rented accommodation - either privately or through a registered social landlord - they also have a duty to find you alternative accommodation via their insurance and emergency arrangements.
Merseyside Police will be responsible for moving people to a place of safety until Wirral Council can open up a reception centre for those people who have been evacuated and have no other options for shelter.
Emergency grab bag
We encourage all households to have a basic grab bag ready for the unlikely event of a sudden evacuation. It should include:
- any medication that may be required
- glasses or contact lenses
- first aid kit
- essential keys including house and car
- cash, credit and debit cards and other small valuable items which may be unsafe if left behind
- passport and any other important documents
- change of clothing, footwear, and sleeping attire – appropriate for the weather
- washing, shaving and sanitary supplies
- supply of appropriate food, water, bottle and tin openers, etc.
- any special items for babies, children, the elderly and disabled
- torch, very small radio, mobile phone and charger
Think about having a basic grab bag in your car too.